Wednesday 13 July 2016

Rain, Rain and More Rain

I am relieved to say there will be no Canada Post strike, and all mail will be accepted and delivered. That is good news for those who rely on the postal service to ship products nationally and internationally.

We spent the weekend camping in the rain. The first downpour hit just as we unhooked the trailer from the truck, and it got leveled between showers. Over the course of the weekend, we had 3 1/2", which is a lot for such a short time. There were other areas that had that much in a matter of hours, not days.

Our trailer was built in the seventies, and is little and sans-bathroom. Plans for one a little bigger are in the works, so trips will be a little more enjoyable - especially when it's pouring rain and one has to pee. As it is just the two of us, we aren't looking for one that is huge, nor do we need it to sleep a lot of people. A separate bedroom and a bit more room inside is all we need. Plus, and outdoor kitchen would be a nice touch.

I took my knitting with me, as well as my Camp NaNo Project. Sadly I did not get a single word written, but I did figure out how to increase and decrease stitches in my knitting. Knitting and I have had an ongoing battle for years; we agree to disagree. I can crochet almost anything, but put needles in my hands and I am stuck in the garter stitch. I am trying, because I would love to knit some socks from alpaca yarn. I see so many neat pairs being knit when I log into my Instagram account. It would be wonderful to have my own socks to share one day.

On the farm side of things, I made a sad discovery on Sunday when I went to do my chores. I found one of my male alpacas dead in the pen. I'm not sure what happened to him, as there were no visible marks on him. My thinking is either he ended up with a bound intestine or the loud thunder caused him to have a heart attack. He was perfectly fine Saturday evening, and being his usual try-to-get-past-the-lady self. It's always sad to lose an animal. As my daughter's 4-H leader said several years ago - if you have livestock, you have dead-stock. That is so true.

To help with the cost of hay and feed this winter, I am working on a Sponsor-an-Alpaca package. This is the first year we will have to buy hay, and the cost is going to set us back at least several hundred dollars. If the rain stops and the hay fields dry out, we should be able to get a truckload locally for a decent price. If not, then the cost will be substantially higher. I am hoping for the former.

Speaking of alpacas, it is time for me to go feed and water them. Feeding right now involves moving panels to a new patch of green grass, which usually takes me a half hour. I have a short shift at the library today, so I can do the larger move this afternoon.

If you are interested in sponsoring an alpaca, please comment below. I will work out the details and provide a link on the sidebar.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment